Girl Gone Authentic: I'm Married! (Part 2 of 4)

The photographer’s assistant came to get me because David and I were doing a “first look” so that we could take pix before the wedding started. We wanted to be able to enjoy our cocktail hour instead of spending the entire time taking pictures. There was a balcony outside our room that you accessed by walking down the hall between our room and the room my middle son was staying in, and they had David standing on the balcony with the photographer several yards away to get the pictures.

The assistant gave me the instructions for how to approach him. I was to walk out onto the balcony and tap him on the right shoulder. His back was to me, and he was leaning on the balcony railing, facing the street (our hotel was located on the historic “Main Street”).

She opened the door for me. I took one look at his back and almost burst into tears because I was so happy. I did as instructed, he turned around, and the moment he looked at me, I forgot that I felt so fucking fat. The look of absolute love in his eyes made me feel like the most beautiful woman on the planet. I know that I was looking at him the same way. In that moment, I knew I was looking at the finest man alive. We both got teary-eyed while the photographer was snapping away.

We embraced and kissed, and I heard my two sons yelling out of my middle son’s hotel room window. They were yelling at David to “get his hands off their sainted mother.” He and I both started cracking up. The best part is that my photographer captured this in a picture. This is my favorite wedding picture so far (we have only seen a “sneak peek” of the wedding pictures).

We took a bunch of pictures at the hotel, on the street, and in the alleyway next to our hotel. Passers-by were honking their horns and congratulating us. It felt like we were famous and our photographer a member of the paparazzi haha.

We finished up the pictures taken at our hotel, and then we got in our car to head over to the wedding venue. It was really nice to have a few moments alone. We arrived, and the photographer took more pix of us. She got some of me by myself, and around 3:00 p.m. the wedding party, my parents, and my siblings arrived. We took a bunch of pictures.

Before I knew it, the time was 4:00 p.m. As we were getting ready to head upstairs to relax (the wedding started at 5:00 p.m.), my BFF (known her since 7th grade) arrived from Missouri. I was SO happy that she was able to make the trip. She’s the type of friend that no matter how much time has passed, it’s like we just saw each other yesterday.

The women and I went upstairs to take a breather before the wedding started. My daughters, sisters, the BFF, and my daughters-in-law hung out, drinking champagne and laughing. I loved spending time with them, but I also wanted the time to pass quickly so I could marry David!

Around 4:30 p.m., our daughter “Elizabeth” came to the room and was crying. Her older brother (David’s biological son) had not shown up. He has somewhat estranged himself from us (for reasons unknown to us), but he had promised to be at the rehearsal and the wedding. He didn’t show up to the rehearsal, and with only 30 minutes to go, he still wasn’t there. I got David so that he could help me comfort her, which was hard because he also needed comforting.

About 10 minutes later, the best thing happened. David’s son showed up! David was bawling while Elizabeth was crying and smiling at the same time. It was one of the best moments of the day.

Now it was just about time to get married!